With summer winding down, that means one thing…it’s canning and preserving season! Below is a list of what we’ve canned and frozen so far this year. We are planning on canning apple butter and freezing pumpkin butter later this fall as well. We have a lot more on our list of things that we’d like to try, but I’m not sure we’ll get to it all, especially the tomato-based products like BBQ sauce, ketchup, and harissa sauce as our tomato plants are starting to brown and die off.
- Bumbleberry Jam from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving by Judi Kingry
- Peach Jam from the Food in Jars Book by Marisa McClellan
- Tomato Jam from the Food in Jars Book by Marisa McClellan (also available on her website)
- Marinara Sauce from the Food in Jars Book by Marisa McClella
- Smokey Tomato Salsa from Put ’em Up! Fruit by Sherri Brooks Vinton
- Slow-roasted Tomatoes from the Smitten Kitchen website
- Basil Pesto from Everyday Italian by Giada De Laurentiis
- Oven-roasted Tomato Paste from Put ’em Up! by Sherri Brooks Vinton
I froze both the basil pesto and tomato paste in muffin tins. Once they were rock solid, I transferred the “pucks” to freezer bags. After the roasted-tomatoes had cooled, I stuck the entire cookie sheet in the freezer until they were solid before transferring to freezer bags. This prevents a giant lump of tomatoes all frozen together.
What have you been preserving this year?