In looking for other ideas for homemade gifts, I came across a simple design for a luggage tag in the DIY section of the Design*Sponge website. Everyone knows someone who travels. Sadly, most of us have boring black luggage. Why not make it more fun and personal with a colorful tag. Plus it will be easier to find when you get to baggage claim.
I’ve included the basic supplies list here. Click here for full instructions that include step by step images.
- two 5-inch squares of a medium-weight fabric (shop your own fabric stash!)
- two 5-inch squares of heavy-weight fusible interfacing
- one 3 1/2″ square of clear vinyl (found this at a fabric store)
- ribbon or cord, about 10″
- thread to match your fabric
- straight pins
- tissue paper
- sewing machine
I followed the website instructions pretty closely. Another suggestion would be to alter the size slightly so you can tuck a business card in the pocket. Like the pillowcase project, the more I made, the easier the project became. The trickiest part of this project was sewing on top of the tissue paper because I couldn’t see where I was going.
Happy sewing, and traveling, too!